History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Round House (That Part in Burton Latimer County Parish) and Attached Barn to Right

A Grade II Listed Building in Burton Latimer, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3642 / 52°21'50"N

Longitude: -0.6286 / 0°37'43"W

OS Eastings: 493476

OS Northings: 274896

OS Grid: SP934748

Mapcode National: GBR DXQ.PW9

Mapcode Global: VHFP0.2V00

Entry Name: The Round House (That Part in Burton Latimer County Parish) and Attached Barn to Right

Listing Date: 19 June 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052096

English Heritage Legacy ID: 230990

Location: Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN9

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

Civil Parish: Burton Latimer

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Burton Latimer St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Finedon

Listing Text

BURTON LATIMER
SP97SW THRAPSTON ROAD
1337-0/10/2 The Round House (that part in
Burton Latimer CP) and attached barn
to right
II
Farmhouse. Early and mid C19 with late C20 alterations.
Coursed limestone rubble with slate roofs and C20 brick
stacks. L-plan formed by 3-storey round tower with 2-storey
blocks to right and rear. Tower has a large cross- shaped
rendered panel painted with the words
"Panorama/Waterloo/Victory/June 18/A.D./1815". Above is an
oculus and to left and right, at ground and first floor level
are 2-light windows with stone flat-arched heads and C20
casements. Conical roof topped by small railed viewing
platform and central chimney. Block to right, probably an
addition, has a blocked door, now window, to left (porch
removed) and 3-light windows to right of ground floor and to
first floor, all with segmental gauged stone heads and C20
casements. End stack, then a low link to barn to right, of
limestone rubble with pantiled roof. Block to rear, originally
stable, heightened and substantially altered to form domestic
accommodation, contains present entrance. Interior altered and
original stair removed. Built for the Arbuthnot family of
nearby Woodford House, Woodford C.P., east Northamptonshire
(q.v.), after a visit by the Duke of Wellington who
apparently mentioned that the countryside reminded him of the
land around Waterloo. The film "The Battle of Waterloo",
directed by Charles Weston for the British and Colonial
Kinematograph Company (1913) was made at this site.


Listing NGR: SP9347674896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.