History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cranford, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3829 / 52°22'58"N

Longitude: -0.6423 / 0°38'32"W

OS Eastings: 492503

OS Northings: 276960

OS Grid: SP925769

Mapcode National: GBR DXJ.LF5

Mapcode Global: VHFNZ.TC8M

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052100

English Heritage Legacy ID: 230997

Location: Cranford, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

Civil Parish: Cranford

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Cranford St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Kettering

Listing Text

CRANFORD
SP9276 CRANFORD ST.JOHN
1337-0/19/147 The Manor House
25/10/51
GV II*
Large house. Early C17 (possibly earlier origin) with later
alterations. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings.
C19 plain-tile roofs with coped gables and C20 finials.
Moulded stone lateral and gable end stacks (repaired 1985)
Main block and western cross wing which, with staircase wing
and additional wing to south, creates a triple-gabled south
facade. 2 storeys and attics. South facade: gable end of west
wing has three 3-light ovolo-moulded stone mullioned windows
with cornices over. Slightly latercental staircase wing has
four 3-light windows, the lower left-hand window now only of 2
lights as a result of the later insertion of a doorway with
gauged stone head), a 4-light window with king mullion and a
sundial in the gable. Right-hand bay, later still and slightly
recessed has a 3-light window to ground and first floor and a
single-light window above. West front, altered probably early
C19, has central C20 door in moulded stone architrave with
pulvinated frieze and cornice, flanked by 3-light mullioned
and transomed windows with cornices. First floor has two
3-light and a 2- light mullioned window. Similar details to
north gable end of west wing. North front of main block has
C19 windows but a number of blocked openings can be traced
including a doorway to right. Interior: very fine early C17
full-height dog-leg staircase (similar to that in Burton
Latimer Hall (q.v.)) with gadrooned string, flat Ionic
balusters, panelled newel posts, elaborate openwork rooms
divided by reset C17 panelling. North room has inglenook
fireplace (in colossal main stack) and richly-moulded spine
beam, south room has painted sundial on ceiling. First floor
north room has moulded stone flat 4-centred arched fireplace.
Main block divided at ground floor level to form corridor and
2 rooms. Flagged floor. Jowled stone fireplace in first floor
west room. Datestone TM/AD 1629 set in paving in front of west
door.


Listing NGR: SP9250376960

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.