This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3664 / 52°21'58"N
Longitude: -0.676 / 0°40'33"W
OS Eastings: 490247
OS Northings: 275084
OS Grid: SP902750
Mapcode National: GBR DXN.PWM
Mapcode Global: VHFNZ.7SH9
Entry Name: Jacobean House
Listing Date: 18 January 1950
Last Amended: 19 June 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052126
English Heritage Legacy ID: 230960
Location: Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN15
Civil Parish: Burton Latimer
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Burton Latimer St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/04/2014
CHURCH STREET (North side),
No. 51 (Jacobean House)
(Formerly listed as No. 59 (Jacobean House).
Previously Listed as: Old School, CHURCH STREET, Burton Latimer)
School, now house. Dated 1622, enlarged C19, converted 1972.
Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, thatched roof
with coped gables on scrolly kneelers with baluster finials, 3
moulded ashlar stacks (central one modern or reset, replacing
louvre ones to gable ends, truncated) One storey, 4-windows
wide. Central C19 boarded door (though hinges may be original)
flanked by fluted pilasters carrying entablature, with frieze
inscribed "AND THIS HOUSE. WAS BUILT. 1622/THE FRE. SCHOOLE.
WAS. FOUNDED/BY. THOMAS. BURBANKE. AND/MARGARET. HIS. WIFE.
1587/AND MEMORIA. IVISTI. BENEDICTA. P RO 10". Above is a
shaped ashlar gable with finials, which contains geometrical
ornament, a sundial and a cartouche enclosing a shield with an
eagle (?). Windows are of 3 lights with ovolo-moulded stone
mullions and leaded casements on gudgeons, cornices over and
lintels inscribed "EX: DONO: JOHANNIS: MICHEL: X ", "16 DONUM:
IOHANNIS: BARRIFFE: 22", "16+: GEORGIUS: PLOWRIGHT: ME: DEDIT:
+22", "W XARPES CITIUS QUAM IMITABERIS N". Left return has
taller 3-light window with central light stepped, but with the
upper part now a blind panel inscribed to commemorate the 1972
work. Geometrical ornament above. Wing to rear C19, partly
rendered (to disguise scars caused by demolition of later C19
block) and with roof of plain and shaped tiles, originally one
storey but now divided into 2, has ovolo-moulded mullioned
windows (and C20 dormers) Interior: originally one large
school-room, now subdivided. 3 roof trusses, arch-braced to
collar and with drop finial, cross-bracing above. The lower
edges of the arch braces are ovolo-moulded, whilst the upper
edges and the cross-braces are chamfered. 2 tiers of purlins
and C20 rafters. Roof strapped and probably partly renewed in
C19. It is believed that the school was actually founded in
1581 (or possibly even earlier, as Thomas Burbank was
described as "founder of the free school in Burton Latimer" at
his death in 1578) - the date 1587 inscribed here presumably
being a mason's error.
(Northampton and County Independent: June 1981: p.39).
Listing NGR: SP9024775084
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings