This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5112 / 52°30'40"N
Longitude: -0.8311 / 0°49'52"W
OS Eastings: 479422
OS Northings: 291014
OS Grid: SP794910
Mapcode National: GBR CTD.DPQ
Mapcode Global: VHDQV.J4ZQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 25 February 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 230860
Location: Ashley, Kettering, Northamptonshire, LE16
Civil Parish: Ashley
Built-Up Area: Ashley (Kettering)
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Ashley St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
ASHLEY MAIN STREET
SP79SE (North side)
1/3 Church of St. Mary
Church. Late C13 and early C14. Tower, probably little altered, but rest
extensively rebuilt and chancel entirely rebuilt by Sir G.G. Scott, 1867, for
Rev. R. Pulteney. Squared coursed ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings and
spire. Lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch in Decorated
style. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light windows. Small
south door to left of centre. Cast iron rainwater head between windows. Steeply
pitched roof with ashlar parapets and finial. 5-light east window with roundels.
North elevation of chancel of one-window range similar to the south. North
chapel projects over chancel and has 3-light east window. South aisle of
3-window range of 2-light windows. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. Porch to
right of centre has ashlar gable parapets and finial and roll moulding to inner
door. North aisle and north chapel of 5-window range of 2-light geometrical
windows. 3 windows to centre retain some C14 tracery. Blocked north door to
right of centre and lateral ashlar stack to left of centre. Lean-to roof with
plain corbelled eaves and gargoyles. Ashlar gable parapets. 2- and 3-light west
and east windows. Ashlar buttresses between all windows and carved label stops
to all windows on south-east and west elevations of south aisle and chancel.
Nave arcade of 5-window range of 2-light square-head windows. Shallow gabled
roof with ashlar parapets and gargoyles. West tower of 3 stages with 3 stage
angle buttresses to western corners of lower 2 stages. 2-light west window in
first stage. 4 armorial plaques to south face of second stage with clock in
centre. Upper stage is limestone ashlar with pairs of 2-light bell-chamber
openings to each face and shallow pilasters at corners. Broach spire with 2
tiers of lucarnes. Interior; 5-bay nave arcades of double chamfered arches with
quatrefoil piers were probably reconstructed c.1867. C19 roll moulded chancel
arch with marble outer shafts. Multi-chamfered tower arch. C19 roof structures.
Triple arch opening between chancel and north chancel, has cusping, marble
shafts and rich painted decoration. Rich painted wall decoration to chancel of
1867 by Clayton and Bell has frieze representing the saints, recently restored
by same firm. Marble reredos, with gilding, and painted ceiling also by Clayton
and Bell. Brass gates at chancel steps and brass and wrought iron communion
rail. Gothic style wrought iron painted chandeliers in nave aisles and north
chapel by Bodley. Richly painted organ case in north chapel by Bryceson c.1867.
C19 stained glass by Clayton and Bell to chancel windows, east windows of aisles
and west windows of tower. C19 screen of 7 bays forms end of north chapel into
vestry C19 pink marble font with gilding in nave and C18 pedestal font in
chancel. Monuments: early and mid C19 marble tablets to Farrer family, reset in
north wall of chancel. Early C20 tablets to Pultney and Lascelles family to
south wall of chancel. Richly decorated triple sedilia and piscina also to south
wall of chancel. Chancel floor of encaustic tiles with marble insets.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.93)
Listing NGR: SP7942291014
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings