This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5966 / 52°35'47"N
Longitude: -2.6829 / 2°40'58"W
OS Eastings: 353839
OS Northings: 300091
OS Grid: SJ538000
Mapcode National: GBR BM.9G63
Mapcode Global: WH8C7.RZMQ
Entry Name: Langley Chapel
Listing Date: 13 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052167
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361561
Location: Ruckley and Langley, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Ruckley and Langley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Acton Burnell
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 50 SW
RUCKLEY AND LANGLEY CP
Shown on O.S. map as Chapel.
Chapel. Circa 1564 on an earlier site, reroofed in 1601 and restored in 1900 by the S.P.A.B. Dressed grey sandstone with sandstone slate roof. Nave and chancel in one. Chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses to east with chamfered offsets, coped parapeted gable end to east, and weatherboarded west bellcote with paired louvred openings and pyramidal cap. Central chamfered round-arched window to south and flanking Tudor-arched doorways (that to right with renewed lintel) with nail-studded boarded doors; chamfered pointed-arched west window; 2-light double-chamfered stone mullioned square-headed window to north; east window with 3 pointed-arched lights and chamfered reveals, and square recessed probable datestone above with chamfered bottom edge (illegible at time of survey - April 1985).
Interior: 4-bay nave roof dated 1601 consisting of moulded arch bracing with moulded and carved pendants, ashlar pieces, pairs of through-purlins, and one tier of windbraces; trussed-rafter chancel roof with fillet-moulded braces and ashlar pieces; nave roof inscribed: "1601", "GH", "HN" (or "NH") and "IBAB"; restored moulded rood beam; framework supporting west bellcote; plaster frieze over ashlar pieces to south with fleur-de-lys, rose and rosette motifs. Early C17 fittings:benches with chamfered drop-shaped poppyheads; musicians' pew at back; 4 box pews at front with H-shaped hinges, fluted friezes, and turned knobs; square reader's pew: panelled with fluted frieze, H-shaped hinges, back boards to 2 sides and square tester with carved scrolled corner brackets; moveable wooden pulpit: hexagonal with pierced fluted frieze and strap hinges; Laudian rails on 3 sides with moulded bases, shaped supports, and benches; communion table. Reused medieval floor tiles at east end.
A chapel at Langley is first mentioned in 1249 and the present building might stand on its site. Langley was a dependent chapelry of Acton Burnell.
County AM No.5,
VCH. Vol. VIII, p.145
DHS Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Vol.6, pp. 495-7.
In guardianships of HB plc.
Listing NGR: SJ5383900091
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings