History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigginton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.997 / 51°59'49"N

Longitude: -1.434 / 1°26'2"W

OS Eastings: 438956

OS Northings: 233318

OS Grid: SP389333

Mapcode National: GBR 6S4.Q8Q

Mapcode Global: VHBZ4.328G

Entry Name: Rectory

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 9 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052177

English Heritage Legacy ID: 361484

Location: Wigginton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Wigginton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wigginton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Swerford

Listing Text

WIGGINTON MAIN STREET
SP3833
(South side)
11/122 Rectory
08/12/55 (Formerly listed as the
Rectory and Barn to
north-west)
GV II
Rectory now house. c.1844 by John Pritchard of Oxford. Regular coursed
ironstone rubble, C20 tile roof. 4 stone stacks: 2 ridge, 1 end and 1
lateral. L-plan. Tudor revival style. Garden front of 2 parts. Right part:
2 plus 1 storeys, 3 bays. Central French window. Gabled 2-storey bay window
to right. Gabled bay to left has 6-light window to ground floor, 3-light
window to first floor and 2-light to attic. 4-light window above door. Most
windows stone mullioned with transoms, hood moulds, label stops, margin
lights and stone relieving arches. Stone copings to gables. Left part: 1 plus
1 storeys. Central lateral stone stack. 4-light window to right; 3-light
window to attic, both mullioned and transomed. Rear: Gabled porch has stone
copings, shield and 4-centred doorway. The Rectory was built on the site of a
glebe farmhouse of which it incorporates a part. Interior not inspected.
(V.C.H. : Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p.160; Buildings of England : Oxfordshire,
1974, p.842).


Listing NGR: SP3895633318

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.