History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gables

A Grade II Listed Building in Cholsey, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5624 / 51°33'44"N

Longitude: -1.1469 / 1°8'48"W

OS Eastings: 459231

OS Northings: 185183

OS Grid: SU592851

Mapcode National: GBR 91D.YNK

Mapcode Global: VHCYP.2ZJM

Entry Name: The Gables

Listing Date: 20 November 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052183

English Heritage Legacy ID: 361499

Location: Cholsey, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Cholsey

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cholsey

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
North Stoke

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-

CHOLSEY
READING ROAD
SUSBNE
2/10001 The Gables
GV II

Former station hotel/tavern. c1841, probably by I.K. Brunel for the
Great Western Railway. Painted red brick with stone dressings. Slated
roofs with 2 steeply pitched gables, having projecting eaves and
bargeboards, to each facade; tall brick chimney stacks, 2 rising from
ground floor through gables. Square plan with 2 bays to each facade.
2 storeys and attic. Main facade symmetrical with Tudor-arched
entrance flanked by transom and mullion windows to ground and 1st
floor; narrow vertically set window above entrance. Similar narrow
windows to attic. Other facades in similar style with half glazed
doors having intersecting tracery to glazing bars in Tudor arched
doorways; platform elevation has remains of a canopy flanked by 2
canted bay windows. Interior retains staircase with turned newels and
original panelled doors. This building is an early example of a
station hotel; the platform, with only a simple shelter, was reached
at the end of a sloping drive. It was originally named Wallingford
Road, being-renamed Moulsford station in 1866 after the opening of the
Wallingford Branch Line.


Listing NGR: SU5923185183

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.