This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1743 / 52°10'27"N
Longitude: -0.943 / 0°56'34"W
OS Eastings: 472376
OS Northings: 253423
OS Grid: SP723534
Mapcode National: GBR BWZ.NDG
Mapcode Global: VHDSB.LMT0
Entry Name: Warehouse Adjoining North of Blisworth Mill
Listing Date: 14 September 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052191
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361420
Location: Blisworth, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Blisworth
Built-Up Area: Blisworth
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Blisworth St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP 7254 BLISWORTH GAYTON ROAD
10/10003 Warehouse adjoining
north of Blisworth Mill
Canal warehouse. Circa early C19 for the Grand Junction (later Union)
Canal Company. Red brick in English garden wall bond. Low-pitched
Welsh slate half-hipped roof with lead roll hips and ridge; the roof
on east front carried down over deep eaves forming canopy over canal,
the canopy supported on cantilevered timber ties.
PLAN: Rectangular plan with loading door onto canal.
EXTERIOR: Single storey. The east front facing canal is blind except
for wide loading doorway to right of centre with C20 door and small
C20 window to right. Stone wing at rear with gable end onto Gayton
INTERIOR: Tie beam roof with king-posts and struts.
NOTE: The Grand Junction Canal was authorised in 1793 to shorten the
route between London and the Midlands. The engineers were James Barnes
and William Jessop. Because of difficulties building Blisworth tunnel
(the longest still open) a toll road was built in 1797 over Blisworth
Hill which was replaced in 1800 by a double-track horse tramroad
constructed by Benjamin Outram. This warehouse on Blisworth wharf may
have been built in association with the tunnel and tramroad.
SOURCE: Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the East Midlands.
Listing NGR: SP7237653423
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings