History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School of Audio Engineering

A Grade II Listed Building in Holloway, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5504 / 51°33'1"N

Longitude: -0.1115 / 0°6'41"W

OS Eastings: 531035

OS Northings: 185193

OS Grid: TQ310851

Mapcode National: GBR GJ.SPX

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.09X9

Entry Name: School of Audio Engineering

Listing Date: 20 September 1954

Last Amended: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052222

English Heritage Legacy ID: 368723

Location: Islington, London, N7

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Holloway

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mary Magdelene and St David Holloway

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3185SW CHILLINGWORTH ROAD
635-1/37/233 (North side)
20/09/54 School of Audio Engineering
(Formerly Listed as:
CHILLINGWORTH ROAD
St Mary Magdalene Community Hall)

II

Former St James's Church, now recording studios and flats.
1837-8 by H.W.Inwood and E.N.Clifton; extended in 1839, the
tower added in 1850. Grey brick, now painted, stone and
stucco, roof of artificial slate. Some seven storeys of
rebuilding behind the original facade which consists now of an
off-centre hexastyle portico with stuccoed Ionic columns,
plain entablature, and pediment. To the left of the portico, a
tower with flat-arched entrance at the base with eared
architrave and cornice on consoles; a cornice runs across the
tower from the portico, and above it there is a circular
window, now with no dressings, flanked by piers; then the open
stage of the tower, square in plan, with paired Ionic antae at
the corners, entablature, coped parapet and antefixae. To the
right of the portico is an answering bay altered on the ground
floor with round-arched window over; cornice and circular
window. Attic storeys stepped back, all part of the new
building.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).


Listing NGR: TQ3103585193

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.