This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4475 / 51°26'50"N
Longitude: -2.5897 / 2°35'22"W
OS Eastings: 359115
OS Northings: 172219
OS Grid: ST591722
Mapcode National: GBR C9M.8Z
Mapcode Global: VH88N.2W87
Entry Name: Fry's House of Mercy
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052244
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379343
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: St Mary Redcliffe with Temple, Bristol and St John the Baptist, Bedminster
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
901-1/42/1672 COLSTON PARADE
FRY'S HOUSE OF MERCY
Almshouse, 1784 with C20 internal alterations, endowed by William Fry.
MATERIALS: Coarse roughcast walls, limestone parapet, brick chimneys behind the ridge of the pantile roof.
PLAN: Two storied, double-depth plan, with a long range to rear.
EXTERIOR: Symmetrical three-bay elevation in the Gothick style. The central two-leaf door has strap hinges (a modern replacement), and scrolled ends and sits within a four-centred moulded arch on uncarved imposts and moulded jambs. The lancet windows to both floors have Y-tracery with two leaded casements with interlacing heads. The elevation is surmounted with a crenellated parapet with cornice beneath. An oval panel above the doorway reads FRY'S/ HOUSE OF MERCY/ 1784.
INTERIOR: Not inspected but rebuilt behind the façade in after 1945.
HISTORY: The almshouse was founded in 1778 and completed in 1784. It was endowed by William Fry, a local distiller, and built to house twelve widows; the almshouse was connected to the parish of St. Mary Redcliffe, which no doubt explains its choice of Gothick. Following bomb damage during WWII the almshouses were partly rebuilt behind the façade.
SOURCES: Folyle, Andrew. Bristol Pevsner Architectural Guide (2004), 181.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Fry's House of Mercy, an almshouse of 1784, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: in particular for its gothick design
* Historic interest: one of a number of surviving C18 philanthropic buildings within the city and one that continues to be used for its original purpose
* Group value: with St Mary Redcliffe church (Grade I listed) opposite and the C18 and C19 houses adjacent to it on Colston Parade (all listed Grade II)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings