This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1274 / 51°7'38"N
Longitude: -3.005 / 3°0'17"W
OS Eastings: 329770
OS Northings: 136939
OS Grid: ST297369
Mapcode National: GBR M5.98JS
Mapcode Global: VH7DH.VXRL
Entry Name: 45 and 47, St Mary Street
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052245
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373984
Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6
Civil Parish: Bridgwater
Built-Up Area: Bridgwater
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST2936NE ST MARY STREET
736-1/11/176 (South side)
24/03/50 Nos.45 AND 47
(Formerly Listed as:
ST MARY STREET
Nos.45 AND 47
House, probably church house, now a hotel. C14-C16 with later
alterations and additions. Rendered rubblestone with exposed
limestone rubble to the ground floor and projecting stack to
the gable of the forward-facing left wing which is brick above
the ridge. Pantile roofs. No.45, to the left is early C19.
Painted brick, stone coping to the parapet, painted stone
stepped voussoirs to flat arches of windows to the first floor
and a bricked-up door to the right. Double-depth plan with a
long rear wing.
2 storeys; 3-window range. 6/6-pane sash windows to the first
floor, restored C19 shopfront. The rear wing is Flemish-bond
brick built in 3 stages; the first has a 3/3-pane sash window
to centre of first floor, the second has a plate glass sash
window with margin panes to right; 2 brick lateral stacks and
one to rear gable end.
No.47 has two C20 two-light casement windows at eaves level to
the sides of main, set-back block; the right return of forward
wing has 6/6-pane sash window above large projecting window
with small panes and shallow pantile roof, probably C20. In
angle to left of main block a lean-to porch with C20 door has
an exposed panel of wattle-and-daub to the right return. This
was probably the entrance to a through-passage. Another C20
door to right of centre is under a wide early C19 trellised
and gabled porch. On forward left wing, flanking stack on
ground floor are 2-light stone-mullioned windows, that to
right is blocked.
INTERIOR: trusses of the 3 bays of C14 main block are exposed,
that to left is arched-braced and wind braces to centre front
and one to rear left remain. Trusses of right-hand bay and
dividing beam are drilled to receive wattle-and-daub uprights,
indicating 2 former rooms, possibly to former service end. To
rear right corner is small blocked diagonal stack.
2 rooms below, that to right has open fire to right with
shallow Tudor-arched timber lintel; studding to former
partition from room to left and chamfered beam to left with
bar stop to front end and plain stop to rear end. In room to
left, to left of door is C17 closed-string staircase with
heavy turned balusters square to top and base, a moulded rail
and raised and fielded panels below.
Upper room of forward left wing is 2-bay with arch-brace
truss. Fireplace to front wall has massive stone lintel with
moulded stops to the jambs and C19 cast-iron grate. The room
below has hollow-chamfered cross-beam, C17 panelling to
ceiling and left-hand wall; entrance from rear is flanked by
fluted and cabled pilasters with large moulded plinths, Ionic
and egg-and-dart capitals over foliate friezes and cornices.
The open fireplace to front wall has slightly arched stone
lintel, splayed sides and Ham Hill stone jambs not quite
reaching the lintel. To left is late C16/early C17 alcove with
shell to top covering blocked window. To right a 2-light
stone-mullioned window with leaded glazing.
Listing NGR: ST2976836938
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings