History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

137, High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9934 / 51°59'36"N

Longitude: -2.1571 / 2°9'25"W

OS Eastings: 389307

OS Northings: 232780

OS Grid: SO893327

Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.TR4

Mapcode Global: VH93T.K5G6

Entry Name: 137, High Street

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052263

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376845

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO8932 HIGH STREET
859-1/6/263 (East side)
04/03/52 No.137

GV II*

House in row, with shop. Early C18 front on C15 fabric; C17
joinery; altered and reroofed in mid C19. Flemish bond
brickwork, square panel timber-framing to rear, tile roof,
brick stacks.
PLAN: 2-room right-angle plan with narrower rear 2-bay C15
range.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 2-windowed. Plain sashes with brick
voussoirs and central decorative keystones with cornice, stone
cills. C19 pilaster shop front with central recessed door
under a deep fascia with moulded cornice and scrolled ends.
Stone modillion cornice, rebuilt blocking course with concrete
coping, returned at the ends. The party wall to the alley to
the left (under No.136 (qv)) is in square panel framing, on a
heavy plate and stone plinth course. This wall contains 2
doorways, one blocked, and one in a moulded architrave.
The back of the main range has a wide gable, with some framing
and C20 brickwork, and a decayed 16-pane sash, then a 2-storey
wing in heavy square framing, with a gable stack, and a
further framed wing in 2 storeys with attic and tiled roof.
INTERIOR: details of the rear wing include a chamfered
arch-braced truss with moulded centre, corner jowl posts and
wind-braces, ceiled above the collar; the front range has a
right-hand stair from the ground floor, first-floor has C17
scratch-moulded 9-panel cupboard with inscribed lozenges and
flowers to the panels beneath a roll-moulded cornice in the
rear room, C17 panelled door to an attic winder stair; the
ground-floor rear room contains more C17 cupboard doors, and a
good carved Jacobean overmantel with terms.


Listing NGR: SO8930732780

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.