History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Welcombe Hotel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2086 / 52°12'31"N

Longitude: -1.6961 / 1°41'45"W

OS Eastings: 420865

OS Northings: 256756

OS Grid: SP208567

Mapcode National: GBR 4LM.J0N

Mapcode Global: VHBXT.KR67

Entry Name: Welcombe Hotel

Listing Date: 9 February 1972

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052288

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366434

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Stratford-upon-Avon

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP25NW WARWICK ROAD, Welcombe
604-1/2/330 (North West side)
09/02/72 Welcombe Hotel

GV II*

Country house, hotel from 1931. 1866-c1880. By Thomas Newby to
designs by Henry Clutton; for Mark Philips; early C20 range.
Brick with ashlar dressings; slate roofs with many brick
stacks with diagonal shafts and ashlar caps. Main range with
attached family range to north, with service range to west;
C20 range attached to south. Jacobean style.
East, garden, front of 2 storeys; 3-window range. Ashlar
plinth and string courses, cornice and ashlar-coped parapet
with 3 shaped gables. Central 2-storey canted bay window with
2:4:2-light double-chamfered mullioned and transomed windows,
pierced-work parapet and strapwork cresting; similar
rectangular bays to ends have 4-light transomed window;
cross-mullioned windows between bays; terrace with stone
steps; left return has projecting wing and canted bay window;
pierced parapet and pinnacles.
Family range to right, connected by terrace with pierced
parapet over Tudor arches and C20 infill block to ground
floor, of 3 storeys with attic; plainer details; two 3-storey
canted bay windows of 1:3:1 transomed lights with plain
parapets flank entrance with glazed doors with cross-mullion
windows above; two 3-light attic windows with shaped gabes;
low service range to right has blind Tudor arcading. C20 wing
of 2 storeys with attic; 4x4-window range attached to main
range by short corridor; simple details; cross-mullion windows
and end 2-storey 1:3:1-light canted bay windows with plain
parapets; attic windows of 2 or 3 lights and end shaped
gables.
Rear has similar details: 3-window range with 1:4:1-light
double transomed canted bay window with foundation stone, and
similar flanking windows 3-light transomed windows to 1st
floor; 3-bay porch to right has pilasters and parapet with
ball finials; Tudor-headed entrance with glazed doors and 2
cross-mullioned windows. Stair wing to left has 4-light window
to ground floor and 3-light windows above. Service wing to
left end has Tudor-headed entrance to right of centre and
cross-mullioned windows; iron area railings. Courtyard to
north end has segmental-headed windows.
INTERIOR: much faceted panelling with roundels and strapwork;
similar 4-panel doors. Great Hall has coffered ceiling with
pendants; large black marble fireplace with Tudor arch,
twisted columns and Philips arms; open-well staircase with
strapwork balustrade, enriched closed string and tapering
square newels; landing has Tudor-arched arcade on fluted and
strapwork columns; rich entablature and coffered ceiling;
front right room has similar details, pilasters and strapwork
to bay windows, rich scrolly pelmets and C20 bar in similar
style. 1st floor has rooms with ashlar and marble fireplaces,
some with inset polished stones or faceted panels; much
original furniture remains.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Mark Philips, 1800-73, was an important
Manchester politician, one of the 1st members of Parliament
for Manchester in 1832, who was much involved in reform and
education; he retired to his Warwickshire estate in 1847.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth:
1966-: 467; Occasional Papers: Tyack G: The Country Houses of
Warwickshire 1800-1939: 1989-: 10, 45-7; Focus: Bearman R:
Welcombe Hotel: 1980-: 8-9).


Listing NGR: SP2086556756

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.