History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Ault Hucknall, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1791 / 53°10'44"N

Longitude: -1.2852 / 1°17'6"W

OS Eastings: 447868

OS Northings: 364899

OS Grid: SK478648

Mapcode National: GBR 7CB.RVZ

Mapcode Global: WHDFR.7C76

Entry Name: Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052330

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79174

Location: Ault Hucknall, Bolsover, Derbyshire, S44

County: Derbyshire

District: Bolsover

Civil Parish: Ault Hucknall

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Ault Hucknall St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Teversal

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/02/2013


SK 46 SE 10/4


PARISH OF AULT HUCKNALL
ROWTHORNE
ROWTHORNE LANE (West Side)
Hall Farmhouse


(Formerly listed under GLAPWELL LANE)


II


Farmhouse. Late C16, extensively remodelled in 1844. Coursed squared sandstone with
sandstone dressings. Ashlar front to south. Stone slate roof with moulded coped
gables to south, with plain kneelers, and decorative barge boards to north. Two
external stacks, with paired ashlar diamond shafts. Paired ashlar diamond shafts to
ridge and gable stacks of north wing. Two storeys with attics. Three bay almost
symmetrical south elevation, the broad outer bays gabled. Narrow recessed centre bay
has a four centred-arched chamfered opening to a recessed porch. Moulded hoodmould.
Four centred arched inner doorway with half-glazed gothic door with margin lights. To
the right is a large 3-light window with timber mullion and transoms and chamfered
stone surround. Chamfered, returned hoodmould. To the left is a canted bay window of
1-3-1 lights, with timber mullions and transom and chamfered stone surrounds. The
bay has a moulded plinth, and parapet with moulded base band and coping. Stepped up
in the centre. The first floor has a central 2-light window, with timber mullion, set
in a chamfered stone surround. Bracketted sill and moulded lintel. Flanked by similar
3-light windows which have returned hoodmoulds. Coped parapet to centre bay has a
triangular-headed projection with blind cross arrow slit. The gables have narrow slit
windows and the broken remains of finials. East elevation of four bays. Off-centre
gabled bay has a chamfered four-centred arched doorway with squared, returned
hoodmould and pierced spandrels. Half-glazed door with gothic lights. To the right is
a 3-light window with timber mullions and transom, set in a plain ashlar surround.
Two similar 2-light windows to the left. Three similar 2-light windows above and a
similar 3-light window. Datestone inscribed 1844 and an illegible date. The interior
of the south wing has a cantilevered stone staircase with iron balustrade. Top-lit
staircase hall four-centred gothic arches.


Listing NGR: SK4786864899

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.