This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2379 / 53°14'16"N
Longitude: -1.4211 / 1°25'16"W
OS Eastings: 438732
OS Northings: 371362
OS Grid: SK387713
Mapcode National: GBR 698.1JJ
Mapcode Global: WHDF9.4WJ4
Entry Name: Engineers Offices at Goods Yard, British Rail Station
Listing Date: 9 August 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052355
English Heritage Legacy ID: 83332
Location: Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41
Electoral Ward/Division: St Leonard's
Built-Up Area: Chesterfield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Chesterfield St Mary and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
5169 (South East Side)
Engineer's Offices at
Goods Yard, British
SK 3871 SE 3/138 9.8.76.
1837. Architect probably Francis Thompson. Part of original North British Railway
Station complex. May have been building referred to as 'Machine House' in Tithe
Map Schedule of 1848 though slight inaccuracies in tithe map alignment and scale
and subsequent changes in street pattern here mean evidence not completely conclusive
on this point. Ashlar with quoins and plinth. Elevation to Corporation Street
of 1 storey with fishscale tiled roof. End chimneys with blind centre recesses
and moulded cornices. Parapet and pediment in centre with arms of North Midland
Railway in tympanum (centre of arms removed). 2 windows, unbarred sashes with
stone dressings flank centre panelled door. Rectangular fanlight above. Rear
elevation (to lower ground) is of 2 storeys with irregularly placed windows. (Ref
Chesterfield Tithe Map and Schedule 1848).
Listing NGR: SK3873271362
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings