This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7586 / 51°45'31"N
Longitude: -1.2645 / 1°15'52"W
OS Eastings: 450858
OS Northings: 206914
OS Grid: SP508069
Mapcode National: GBR 7XL.R3Y
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.12B5
Entry Name: The University Printing House (The Clarendon Press)
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052359
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245929
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: North
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Barnabas with St Thomas the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
The University Printing House
(The Claredon Press)
SP 5006 NE 4/103 12.1.54.
Consists of 2 wings, North and South joined by a screen which has a central
monumental entranceway, all in the Corinthian order. The front and South
wing was begun in 1826 and finished in 1828 to the designs of Daniel Robertson.
The North wing and West ranges were completed by 1830 under the direction
of Edward Blore. There have since been alterations and additions. The original
building is on a Headington stone plinth with Bath stone facing and dressings;
the facing was repaired in 1935. The central screen is of 5 bays, the wings
each of 3 bays. Casement windows. Handborough stone was used for parts
of the interior. Alterations in recent years.
Listing NGR: SP5085806914
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings