This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6391 / 51°38'20"N
Longitude: -2.3479 / 2°20'52"W
OS Eastings: 376020
OS Northings: 193419
OS Grid: ST760934
Mapcode National: GBR 0MF.17N
Mapcode Global: VH95G.823B
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052363
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128101
Location: Wotton-under-Edge, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL12
Civil Parish: Wotton-under-Edge
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Wotton-under-Edge with Ozleworth
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
CHURCH OF ST MARY
Anglican parish church. Late C13 arcades (some reconstruction); early and later C14
tower; C15 main shell including clerestory, but early C19 roofs. Mainly good Cotswold
stone construction, some squared and dressed work but principally ashlar, lead roofs.
Very fine six-stage west tower, nave and extremely wide north and south aisles, all
finished with crenellated parapets; south porch (reconstructed 1658), St Katherine's
chapel, north side, reconstructed 1780; chancel reconstructed 1848, including two new
bays to arcading.
Interior: Early 6-bay arcades, round pillars north alternate round and octagonal,
south, all with foliage carving. Large three and five light windows and four-light
clerestory window, all with plain glass. Extremely flat plastered vault ceilings with
roll ribs springing from five-feathered corbels in aisles. St Katherine's Chapel
fittings of 1928 in oak including ceiling dado panelling and altar with rails.
Wrought iron chancel rail on stone plinth wall, and wrought iron pulpit and reading
desks by Waller, about 1885.
Major brasses to Thomas Berkeley, 1417 and his wife, 1392 on table tomb in chapel east
end north aisle.
Verey; B/E Cloucestershire: The Cotswolds pp.490-494. Some photographs in NMR.
Listing NGR: ST7602093419
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings