This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2415 / 52°14'29"N
Longitude: -0.8973 / 0°53'50"W
OS Eastings: 475391
OS Northings: 260939
OS Grid: SP753609
Mapcode National: GBR BW8.FYX
Mapcode Global: VHDRZ.DXHK
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Sepulchre
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052407
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232217
Location: Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Northampton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Northampton Holy Sepulchre with S Andrew and St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
725/1/5 SHEEP STREET
19-JAN-52 (East side)
CHURCH OF THE HOLY SEPULCHRE
One of the rare round churches, having a circular nave, derived from the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The original church of about 1100 had a round nave of 8 columns, supporting a triforium, and a short chancel, probably apse-ended. A North aisle was added circa 118O, leaving the present arcade. A second North aisle was added circa 1275. During the early C15 a South aisle was built, the triforium of the round was replaced by a clerestory, and a Western tower was added. The restoration of 1860-4 added further extensions to the East. The round nave, now the Baptistry, is still impressive, though restored 1868-73. Additions of 1860-4 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Not a Templar church, always a parish church. Chancel screen by Oldrid Scott, 1880. Brass of 1640.
Listing NGR: SP7539160939
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings