This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2365 / 52°14'11"N
Longitude: -0.9034 / 0°54'12"W
OS Eastings: 474979
OS Northings: 260376
OS Grid: SP749603
Mapcode National: GBR BW8.LG4
Mapcode Global: VHDS5.917V
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052417
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232152
Location: Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN1
District Council Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Northampton All Saints with St Katherine
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
725/5/3 MARE FAIR
19-JAN-52 (South side)
CHURCH OF ST PETER
Mainly Norman, circa 1160, but of Saxon origin. Stone, with chancel, North and
South chapels, nave, North and South aisles, with continuous arcade of 8 bays.
Typical elaborate ornamentation, carved caps and banded columns, moulded bases,
decorated arches, external blind arcading. Early C17 western Tower. C15 Font.
C15 crypt. Restored East end, by George Gilbert Scott 1850. Finely carved Cl8
wall tablets and monuments include 1742 to John Smith, mezzotint engraver, by
John Hunt. Monument with bust by M Noble, 1839, to William Smith, founder of
Nos 33 to 43 (odd) and 37a form a group with St Peter's Church and Nos 1 to 3
Black Lion Hill.
Listing NGR: SP7497960376
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings