History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory and Old Rectory Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Ducklington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7648 / 51°45'53"N

Longitude: -1.481 / 1°28'51"W

OS Eastings: 435915

OS Northings: 207479

OS Grid: SP359074

Mapcode National: GBR 6VZ.BDQ

Mapcode Global: VHC02.8WXY

Entry Name: The Old Rectory and Old Rectory Cottage

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 17 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052426

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252168

Location: Ducklington, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Ducklington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Duklington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Witney

Listing Text

DUCKLINGTON STANDLAKE ROAD
SP3507 (East side)
18/92 The Old Rectory and Old
12/09/55 Rectory Cottage
(Formerly listed as Rectory
and barn)

GV II

Rectory, now house and cottage. Early/mid C17; remodelled early C18 and extended
c.1800. Uncoursed limestone rubble with dressed quoins; gabled stone slate roof;
large stone ashlar ridge stack, and C20 brick left end stack. 2-unit lobby-
entry plan, extended to triple-depth plan c.1800. 2 storeys and attic; 2-
window range. Timber lintel over central blocked door with C20 light. Timber
lintels over C20 window to left, late C18 tripartite sash altered by
inserted mid/late C19 French windows to right, and over first-floor tripartite
sashes; C19 roof dormers. Two-storey rear range of similar materials with
stone ashlar ridge stack: tall sash, set in round-arched stair-light, and 6-
panelled door with mid C19 Gothic porch to right side wall; 3-window range
rear wall has 6-pane and tripartite sashes and mid C19 stone-mullioned bay
window. Early C19 two-storey range to left, with 6-pane sashes and front
outshut, is attached to stable range (now Old Rectory Cottage) with
segmental-arched doors and windows. Interior: front range has early C17
stop-chamfered beams, early C18 bolection-moulded panelled doors, early C18
fireplace with pulvinated frieze, and collar-truss roof with butt purlins. To
rear left is mid C18 panelling with dado rail, and winder stairs to small
chamber above which has panelled door to closet; C17 studded door. c.1800
extension has 6-panelled doors set in panelled reveals, and quarter-turn stairs
with stick balusters in central stone-flagged hall. Attics to rear have reset
C15 painted beams, decorated with the Lovell, Deincourt, Holland and Poynings
family emblems: probably from Minster Lovell Hall, dismantled in 1747.
(Oxfordshire Museum, Woodstock, PRN 11207).


Listing NGR: SP3591507479

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.