History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7252 / 51°43'30"N

Longitude: -1.5059 / 1°30'21"W

OS Eastings: 434223

OS Northings: 203062

OS Grid: SP342030

Mapcode National: GBR 6WB.XR9

Mapcode Global: VHC07.VW7T

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 17 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052435

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252091

Location: Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chim

Built-Up Area: Aston (West Oxfordshire)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bampton

Listing Text

ASTON BAMPTON AND SHIFFORD STANDLAKE ROAD
SP30SW (North side)
Aston
9/20 church of St. James

GV II

Church. 1839, by Thomas Greenshields; sanctuary added 1862 by J. Clarke; further
alterations of 1885-9 by H. Drinkwater. Squared and coursed limestone with
ashlar quoins and dressings; gabled concrete tile roof. Cruciform plan with west
tower. Lancet style. 3-light Geometrical-style east window. One-bay chancel,
2-bay transepts and 4-bay nave have lancet windows with blocks to hood-mould
stops. Gabled ends of transepts each have blind round window above ribbed door
set in similar pointed doorways. West tower has similar ground-floor lancets,
and hood moulds over similar west door and louvred first-stage lancets; broached
and ribbed ashlar spire has gablets over trefoiled and louvred lights. Interior:
double-chamfered sanctuary and transept arches; similar west doorway. Mid C19
benches, stalls, lectern and Geometrical-style pulpit. Octagonal
Geometrical-style font in south transept. Lancet-style panelling in south porch.
Queen-strut trusses have pointed-arched braces. Stained glass: C20 memorial
glass.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.426).


Listing NGR: SP3422303062

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.