This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9678 / 51°58'4"N
Longitude: -1.3807 / 1°22'50"W
OS Eastings: 442640
OS Northings: 230108
OS Grid: SP426301
Mapcode National: GBR 7TX.RPZ
Mapcode Global: VHCWM.0SXV
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 18 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052460
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252050
Location: Worton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Worton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Over with Nether Worton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WORTON NETHER WORTON
3/234 Church of St. James
Church. C14; tower dated 1630; restored 1883. Coursed squared marlstone with
ashlar dressings, some limestone; sheet-aluminium roof. 3-bay aisled nave,
south-west tower, and chancel recess. North and south sides each have 3
square-headed 3-light windows with ogee lights; the re-set east window is
similar but with a 4-centred head. The small 3-stage tower, built above the west
end of the south aisle, contains the C13 doorway with dogtooth decoration to the
arch and an oak door of 6 fielded panels; the bell chamber has 2-light
stone-mullioned openings and the datestone is inscribed "ROBERTE/PARSONS/1630".
The shallow-pitched roofs all have parapets; the nave rises above the aisles,
without clerestory, and projects slightly to east. Interior: C14 arcades and
chancel arch have octagonal piers and responds with moulded bases and capitals
and arches of 2 chamfered orders; bases on south side have corner spurs and may
be C12. Trefoiled blind arches on east walls of aisles may be C13. C19 roofs
with cast-iron brackets. Chancel recess is lined with grained panelling
incorporating Decalogue etc. Late C17 barleytwist communion rails. Ritual
chancel is defined by a C17 balustrade, with heavy turned balusters, linking
with the pulpit which has C17 panels. Monuments include several C17 ledgers, and
early C19 memorials to the Wilson family including a large draped urn by Henry
Westmacott. C19 line drawing with stencilled border on north wall by Grace
Wilson. The chancel was demolished at an unknown date.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.292; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
Listing NGR: SP4264030108
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings