History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nether Worton House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Worton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9675 / 51°58'3"N

Longitude: -1.3824 / 1°22'56"W

OS Eastings: 442527

OS Northings: 230072

OS Grid: SP425300

Mapcode National: GBR 7TX.R8Y

Mapcode Global: VHCWM.0T12

Entry Name: Nether Worton House

Listing Date: 27 August 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052464

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252057

Location: Worton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Worton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Over with Nether Worton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Barford Saint John

Listing Text

NORTON NETHER WORTON
SP43SW
3/241 Nether Worton House
27/08/56

GV II*

Manor house. 1653 on datestone, possibly partly earlier, extended c.1920.
Coursed squared marlstone with mostly limestone-ashlar dressings; artificial
stone-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. 4-unit plan extended to U-plan. 2 storeys
plus attic. Outer bays of battlemented 4-window front break forward and have 3
tiers of 3- and 4-light stone-mullioned windows with labels under stepped gable
parapets. Left gable window, of 3 lights with transoms, matches the first-floor
windows of the middle bays. A C20 single-storey corridor links the projecting
bays and has a gabled central porch with a re-set datestone inscribed
"D/WE/1653". Roof has end stacks and a massive 4-shaft stack to left of centre.
C20 wings extend on both sides, projecting to the front on the right, and on the
left linking with a low outbuilding range to form a forecourt. 5-window rear is
unaltered and has stone mullioned and transomed windows to both floors plus some
smaller mullioned windows in the gabled outer bays. 2-window lower flanking
wings are in similar style. Interior: ground floor has stop-chamfered beams.
First floor has some stop-chamfered joists, re-used C17 oak panelling, 2
chamfered-stone fireplaces (square-headed and basket-arched), and a beam in the
left crosswing has an elaborate chamfer stop incorporating a bar. Cross wings
have A-frame trusses with butt and trenched purlins. Main roof has 2 rows of
butt purlins, pegged rafters and cambered collars.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.714).


Listing NGR: SP4252730072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.