This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9355 / 51°56'7"N
Longitude: -1.3914 / 1°23'28"W
OS Eastings: 441939
OS Northings: 226512
OS Grid: SP419265
Mapcode National: GBR 7V9.P18
Mapcode Global: VHBZB.TMS2
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 18 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052504
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251955
Location: Sandford St. Martin, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Sandford St. Martin
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sandford St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SANDFORD ST.MARTIN MANOR ROAD
SP4126 (South side)
13/144 The Manor House
Manor house. c.1715, for Joseph Taylor, possibly with earlier elements, extended
C19 and 1924. Limestone ashlar and coursed squared rubble; Stonesfield-slate
roofs with ashlar stacks. Complex plan. 2 and 3 storeys. Central part of the
garden front is the original ashlar 5-window entrance front in Baroque style,
with 12-pane sashes at ground and first floors, storey bands and a parapet with
cornice; the middle 3 bays break forward under a triangular pediment and, at
second floor, have segmental-arched casements flanking a taller round-headed
window which rises into the pediment under a large keyblock. Outer bays have
contemporary ornamental lead rainwater heads. Set back on either side is an
added 2-storey bay with sashes plus later extensions with gabled half dormers.
Roofs have gable parapets. Present entrance front is C19 and C20 in multi-gabled
style with stone-mullioned windows. Interior not inspected but photograph in
National Monuments Record shows a stone Tudor-arched fireplace with a plaster
overmantel of coat of arms within a border.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.172; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.751).
Listing NGR: SP4193926512
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings