This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9365 / 51°56'11"N
Longitude: -1.39 / 1°23'24"W
OS Eastings: 442030
OS Northings: 226614
OS Grid: SP420266
Mapcode National: GBR 7V9.HCX
Mapcode Global: VHBZB.VLHC
Entry Name: Brandon Farmhouse, Adjoining Farmbuilding and Cottage, and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 27 August 1956
Last Amended: 18 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052507
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251962
Location: Sandford St. Martin, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Sandford St. Martin
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sandford St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/04/2018
SANDFORD ST MARTIN
MANOR HOUSE (East side)
Brandon House and Mildon Cottage
Former Brandon Farmhouse, adjoining farm building and cottage, and attached wall
(Formerly listed as Brandon Farmhouse, adjoining farm building and cottage, and attached wall, THE GREEN, previously listed as Brandon Farmhouse)
Large former farmhouse and farm building. Early/mid C17 and 1705, possibly partly C16. Limestone rubble with marlstone ashlar dressings and limestone ashlar; artificial stone slate roof with ashlar stacks. Five unit range with rear wings.
Two storeys plus attic. Left half of six-window front is earlier and has irregular fenestration of stone-mullioned windows of two-, one- and three-lights at first floor and two-, three- and two-lights at ground floor, all with labels. Ashlar right half, with continuous moulded string, has chamfered stone mullioned and transomed windows: two-light in the outer bays with segmental pediments at first floor; three-light in the centre with a triangular pediment at first floor and, at ground floor, a segmental pediment enclosing a datestone inscribed "P/WE/1705".
Right half of roof has two gabled roof dormers and three double-shafted stacks with plinths and moulded caps. Left gable wall has further mullioned windows with labels and returns to a taller rear wing with aligned mullioned windows of four-, three- and three-lights in its rear gable wall and mullioned cellar windows. Roof has a triple-shafted stack. Gabled stair tower in angle has two-light mullioned windows, but at lower level has small chamfered windows which may be C16 or earlier. Rear of later range has a canted stair projection and some stone mullioned and transomed windows, but also has some C17 rubble walling with mullioned windows and a first floor doorway approached by a stone stair. Small C18 rear wing adjoining stair has a five-row dovecote in its gable.
Three bay rubble farm building range to right of front curves around bend in road and has a large through cartway with double doors containing a small door. Right gable wall has a parapet. Right bay is now a cottage and has C20 openings to rear.
Interior: two large open fireplaces with bread ovens; bolection-mould fireplace with matching panelling; two winder stairs rising to attic; C17 oak-panelled room in rear wing with carved panels below a dentil cornice, a four-centre arched fireplace, and an overmantel of arched panels incorporating the inscription "P/IK"; butt-purlin roofs. Rubble wall attached to right end of range, approximately 1.3 metre high, runs approximately 50 metres to east. Initials on rebuilt south range are those of William and Elizabeth Parsons.
Listing NGR: SP4203026614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings