History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Court and Lodge Adjoining North Side of Sandford Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandford St. Martin, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9375 / 51°56'15"N

Longitude: -1.391 / 1°23'27"W

OS Eastings: 441961

OS Northings: 226730

OS Grid: SP419267

Mapcode National: GBR 7V9.H3W

Mapcode Global: VHBZB.TKZK

Entry Name: Stable Court and Lodge Adjoining North Side of Sandford Park

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052512

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251978

Location: Sandford St. Martin, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Sandford St. Martin

Civil Parish/community: Sandford St Martin

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sandford St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Ledwell

Listing Text

SANDFORD ST.MARTIN WORTON ROAD
SP4126, SP4226 (West side)
13/165, 14/165 Stable court and lodge
adjoining N side of Sandford
Park
GV II

Stable court and lodge. c.1700, possibly partly earlier, and C19. Limestone
rubble with marlstone-ashlar dressings; coursed squared marlstone;
limestone-ashlar; concrete plain-tile roofs. L-shaped plan. 2 storeys. 5-window
rubble range adjoining Sandford Park (q.v.) has 3-light stone-mullioned windows
at first floor, a blocked central archway with keyblock, and it retains a
4-panel door with shallow wooden canopy on consoles. Range projecting from right
is built around a marlstone-fronted square dovecote, with a pyramid roof, rising
above a double-arched coach house; 4-window section to left, and 3-window
section to right of it have further mullioned windows and 3 more doors with
canopies. C19 ashlar lodge and archway, at end of projecting range, have
mullioned windows and elaborate Dutch gables with carved arms; the lodge was
probably converted from a barn. Interiors not inspected.
(Sandford Park is included in the HBMC County Register of Gardens at Grade II.
V.C.H.: Oxfordshire Vol.XI, p.173; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.751;
"Sandford Park, Oxfordshire", Country Life, May 11, 1940).


Listing NGR: SP4196126730

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.