History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School and Schoolhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Tew, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9604 / 51°57'37"N

Longitude: -1.4254 / 1°25'31"W

OS Eastings: 439581

OS Northings: 229252

OS Grid: SP395292

Mapcode National: GBR 6SR.0GL

Mapcode Global: VHBZ4.7ZTK

Entry Name: School and Schoolhouse

Listing Date: 27 August 1956

Last Amended: 18 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052516

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251890

Location: Great Tew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Tew

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Tew

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Great Tew

Listing Text

GREAT TEW THE GREEN
SP3929 (South side)
10/78 School and Schoolhouse
27/08/56 (Formerly listed as School)
GV II

School and schoolhouse. 1852. Coursed squared marlstone with ashlar dressings;
Stonesfield-slate roofs with limestone ashlar stacks. 2 L-shaped ranges around a
small courtyard. To left of front, shorter wing of schoolroom range has a gabled
stone porch with arched entrance between 2-light stone-mullioned windows with
lattice glazing and labels; left gable has a large canopied bellcote above a
4-light stone mullioned-and-transomed window; 5-window rear wing has 2-light
mullioned-and-transomed windows, all with labels, and another 4-light window in
the rear gable wall. Shorter wing of schoolhouse range is set back to right of
the front, behind later flat-roofed extensions, and returns on right with
stone-mullioned windows of 3, 1 and 2 lights below stone-gabled dormers of 2, 1
and 2 lights, all with labels and lattice glazing. Rear gable wall has a 2-light
mullioned window above a canted 4-light bay window with stone mullions and
crenellated stone roof. Roofs have gable parapets with carved kneelers and
clusters of octagonal stacks with moulded caps. Interior not inspected.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.225; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.627).


Listing NGR: SP3958129252

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.