This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9606 / 51°57'38"N
Longitude: -1.4222 / 1°25'19"W
OS Eastings: 439799
OS Northings: 229284
OS Grid: SP397292
Mapcode National: GBR 6SR.17X
Mapcode Global: VHBZ4.9ZHC
Entry Name: 50, the Square
Listing Date: 27 August 1956
Last Amended: 18 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251900
Location: Great Tew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Great Tew
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Tew
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT TEW THE SQUARE
SP3929 (East side)
27/08/56 (Formerly listed as Cottage
Small house, now ruinous. C17. Coursed squared marlstone; no roof. 2-unit plan.
2 storeys plus attic and one storey plus attic. 2-window front has, at ground
floor, a 3-light stone-mullioned window to right, and, at lower level to left, a
similar 2-light window, both with labels and lattice glazing. In the centre is a
small lattice stair window. An opening for a first-floor window survives on the
right; the upper part of the left bay has fallen. To left, gable wall has a C19
window with label, and the right gable has a small leaded attic window. The rear
retains the entrance, with plank door, and two 2-light mullioned lattice windows
with labels. The roof was considerably higher on the right. Interior: chamfered
and stopped beam; large open fireplace with chamfered bressumer curved
adjoining stair recess; bread oven. Some purlins survive, spanning onto the
massive central stack.
Listing NGR: SP3980229285
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings