History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Tew, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.955 / 51°57'18"N

Longitude: -1.4471 / 1°26'49"W

OS Eastings: 438094

OS Northings: 228650

OS Grid: SP380286

Mapcode National: GBR 6SQ.DYM

Mapcode Global: VHBZ9.V4V3

Entry Name: The Grange

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052523

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251909

Location: Little Tew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Little Tew

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Tew

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Swerford

Listing Text

SP3828
11/99

LITTLE TEW
The Grange

II
Vicarage, now house. c.1858 for Revd. F. Garrett by G.E. Street, extended 1869 by C. Buckeridge and 1880 by E. Bruton. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate and plain-tile roofs with stone stacks.

Complex Z-shaped plan. Gothic style. Two storeys and two storeys plus attic. Entrance front has a central stone porch, a canted bay window to left, and has to right a gable above a trefoil-headed mullion- and -transom first-floor window. The higher range projecting from the right is a later addition and has a turret in the angle capped by a timber-framed second-floor studio with an octagonal pyramid roof. The four-window garden front, returning to left, has a projecting gabled bay to right, a two-storey canted bay window to left, and includes two other gables and a large buttressed stack; several first-floor windows have trefoiled heads and most windows have transoms. Probably all is by Street except for the gabled verandah and the ashlar conservatory, set back to left, which were early C20 additions. A further parallel rear range projects to left.

Interior: hall has pointed stone arches and a glass dome. Single-storey wing at rear now contains a private theatre.


Listing NGR: SP3809428650

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.