History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bell House

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Tew, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9551 / 51°57'18"N

Longitude: -1.4429 / 1°26'34"W

OS Eastings: 438377

OS Northings: 228662

OS Grid: SP383286

Mapcode National: GBR 6SQ.812

Mapcode Global: VHBZ9.Y410

Entry Name: The Bell House

Listing Date: 27 August 1956

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052529

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251921

Location: Little Tew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Little Tew

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Tew

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Swerford

Listing Text

LITTLE TEW THE GREEN
SP3828 (North side)
11/111 The Bell House
27/08/56

GV II

Inn and cottage, now house. Possibly early C17, re-modelled late C17 and
extended early C18. Limestone rubble and coursed squared marlstone rubble with
some marlstone-ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roof with rubble stacks.
2-unit gable-fronted plan, linked to a single-unit cottage. 2 storeys plus
attic. Double-gabled 4-window front has, to right, the gable end of the earlier
inn range with a renewed cross window above a C20 arched doorway; to left, the
2-window cottage range with renewed leaded casements. Gabled linking section has
a variety of altered casements and a gable parapet with a ball finial matching
that to right. Right return wall has renewed cross windows at ground and first
floors. Interior: inn range has a massive central stack, an inglenook fireplace
with cambered bressumer, and a late C17/early C18 doorcase with pilasters and
segmental arch. Until c.1880 the Bell Inn.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.249; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.691).


Listing NGR: SP3837728662

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.