This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9447 / 51°56'40"N
Longitude: -1.5394 / 1°32'21"W
OS Eastings: 431755
OS Northings: 227456
OS Grid: SP317274
Mapcode National: GBR 6SS.1LV
Mapcode Global: VHBZ8.8DJ1
Entry Name: Cotshill Hospital
Listing Date: 26 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052602
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251707
Location: Chipping Norton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Chipping Norton
Built-Up Area: Chipping Norton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chipping Norton with Over Norton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHIPPING NORTON LONDON ROAD
3/91 Cotshill Hospital
Former workhouse, now hospital. Circa 1835 by George Wilkinson of Whitney. Coursed
rubblestone and stone dressings to main building finer courses and a heavily rock
faced plinth to the entrance block. Gabled slate roofs and brick stacks throughout.
Central lantern with 6 radiating wings and the administrative block sets at right
angles to the end of the western arm. Three storeys to main building with cambered
heads and casements to windows. The administrative block has more architectural
pretension. Two storeys, 9 bays in a rhythm of threes. First floor platband and
projecting eaves cornice. Outer 3 bays at each end have square headed 12-pane
sashes. First floor windows to the central section are round headed. Below these
set in recesses with dentil courses are 2 round headed windows flanking a central
door with a semi-circular fanlight. Steps up to the door.
Listing NGR: SP3175527456
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings