This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9422 / 51°56'31"N
Longitude: -1.5446 / 1°32'40"W
OS Eastings: 431399
OS Northings: 227170
OS Grid: SP313271
Mapcode National: GBR 6SS.69W
Mapcode Global: VHBZ8.5FSZ
Entry Name: The Playpen
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052618
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251635
Location: Chipping Norton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Chipping Norton
Built-Up Area: Chipping Norton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chipping Norton with Over Norton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHIPPING NORTON HIGH STREET
3/24 No 20 (The Playpen)
House, now shop. Late C14 core, rebuilt circa 1730, altered and refaced in the
C20. Ashlar with a gabled slate roof. Two storeys and attic, 3 bays. Moulded
cornice, moulded and eared architraves with large keystones to first floor windows
linked by band. Two dormers with 2-pane casements, 12-pane sashes to first floor.
C20 shop front to ground floor and passage opening to right-hand with pronounced
keystone. The undercroft below the ground floor front has late C14 octopartite
vaulting with chamfered ribs springing from 4 corbels all carved with faces.
The roadside wall, once giving access to the street before the market place was
terraced in the late C17, has one 2 cusped light window under a flat head to the
N and a similar 1-light window to the S. Two cupboard openings in the E wall.
Listing NGR: SP3139927170
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings