This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9427 / 51°56'33"N
Longitude: -1.5448 / 1°32'41"W
OS Eastings: 431385
OS Northings: 227230
OS Grid: SP313272
Mapcode National: GBR 6SS.08M
Mapcode Global: VHBZ8.5FNL
Entry Name: Guildhall
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052632
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251670
Location: Chipping Norton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Chipping Norton
Built-Up Area: Chipping Norton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chipping Norton with Over Norton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHIPPING NORTON MIDDLE ROW
Former Guildhall, now council offices. Circa 1500-20, extended in the early C18
and the C19 of rubblestone covered with roughcast, stone dressings and a stone
tiled roof gabled at the N end and half hipped at the S. Originally a 3-bay first
floor hall with a 2-bay early C18 S extension and a one-bay C19 N addition.
Externally the early C16 features on the hall section are 2-light mullions with
Tudor arched heads to the E and a 3-light mullion on the W rear wall. At ground
floor level on the E front is a doorway with a four-centred head, spandrels carved
with quatrefoils and mouchettes and chamfered jambs. Other features on this front
include an early C18 depressed archway. Inside the hall section has an early
C16 timber roof structure with 2 bays of principal rafters, collars and arch-
bracing corbels and trenched purlins.
Listing NGR: SP3138527230
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings