History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Co Operative Chemist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9413 / 51°56'28"N

Longitude: -1.5451 / 1°32'42"W

OS Eastings: 431369

OS Northings: 227070

OS Grid: SP313270

Mapcode National: GBR 6SS.66X

Mapcode Global: VHBZ8.5GJP

Entry Name: Co Operative Chemist

Listing Date: 23 April 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052656

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251627

Location: Chipping Norton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Chipping Norton

Built-Up Area: Chipping Norton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Norton with Over Norton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text

CHIPPING NORTON HIGH STREET
SP 3027-3127
3/16 No 7 (Co-operative
Chemist)
23.4.52
GV
II*
House, now shop. Circa 1730 of ashlar and dressed stone copings with a gabled
stone tiled roof and end stone based stacks with brick caps. Three storeys and
attic, 4 bays. Two segmental headed dormers with 6-pane lights, sash windows
to upper 2 floors in moulded round heads with fluted keystones and pronounced
abacu. Four half fluted Doric pilasters articulate the principal 2 storeys and
support a triglyph frieze and plain parapet. The ground floor has 4 arched
openings set in heavy rustication and a bracketted string course from which the
pilasters rise. Six-panel C19 door to right-hand opening, glazed C20 door to
3rd bay fron the right flanked by late C19 Regency style window surrounds with
reeded jambs and brackets. Inside features survive which suggest that the build-
ing was a major town house of the borough. These include 2 rooms with C18
decorative schemes. The NW room on the first floor has an ogee bracket and dentil
cornice, 2 early C18 inches set in bolection moulded panelling and raised fielded
panelling in the window reveals. A connecting room has a similar cornice with
paterae, a stucco overmantel of swaggs set in an eggand tongue surround and a
central leaf-entwined rose. Countemporary doors with raised fielded panels.
The Chemist's is the most outstanding example of the borough's local Baroque style
inspired by the proximity of Vanbrugh's Blenheim Palace.

Listing NGR: SP3136927070

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.