This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6699 / 51°40'11"N
Longitude: -1.6505 / 1°39'1"W
OS Eastings: 424267
OS Northings: 196849
OS Grid: SU242968
Mapcode National: GBR 5VL.9JT
Mapcode Global: VHC0K.B9T6
Entry Name: Buscot Park: West Pavilion with Attached Terrace Walls and Gatepier
Listing Date: 10 November 1952
Last Amended: 23 November 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052681
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251482
Location: Buscot, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Buscot
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Buscot
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/09/2012
Buscot Park, West pavilion with attached
terrace walls and gatepier
(Formerly listed with Buscot Park)
Pavilion (part of country house). Circa 1935 by Geddes Hyslop for 2nd Baron
Faringdon. Limestone ashlar. 7-bay range running parallel with main axis
of mansion (q.v.) has both ends porticoed with 4 Tuscan Doric columns in
antis and roundels in pediments. Longer sides have an additional basement
storey, to east opening to a sunken service court; middle bay, which is
wider and breaks forward below triangular pediment, has an arched carriage
entry rising through both storeys. Ashlar ridge stacks flank central bay.
Stone retaining walls, punctuated by low piers with vases and by flights of
steps, extend around the west and north sides of the north terrace, curving
around a stone basin and statue, and to south ramp up to a raised balustrade
adjoining the panelled northern pier of the south-west gateway to the
forecourt. The walls form part of an elaborate formal landscape scheme
surrounding the mansion. (q.v. also east pavilion and south screen.)
(Country Life, 18, 25 May 1940; National Trust Guidebook to Buscot Park).
Listing NGR: SU2426796849
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings