This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6695 / 51°40'10"N
Longitude: -1.6493 / 1°38'57"W
OS Eastings: 424346
OS Northings: 196809
OS Grid: SU243968
Mapcode National: GBR 5VL.9TQ
Mapcode Global: VHC0K.C9DG
Entry Name: Buscot Park: East Pavilion with Attached Terrace Walls and Gatepier
Listing Date: 10 November 1952
Last Amended: 23 November 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052682
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251483
Location: Buscot, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Buscot
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Buscot
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/09/2012
Buscot Park, east pavilion with attached terrace walls and gatepier.
(Formerly listed as Buscot Park, east pavilion with attached tonne walls and gatepier)
(Formerly listed with Buscot Park)
Pavilion (part of country house). Circa 1935 by Geddes Hyslop for 2nd Baron
Faringdon. Limestone ashlar. 7-bay range running parallel with main axis
of mansion (q.v.) has both ends porticoed with 4 Tuscan Doric columns in
antis and roundels in pediments. Longer side breaks forward in the wider
middle bay which contains an open archway below a triangular pediment. Roof
has a central cupola. Barrel-vaulted passage is decorated with frescoes of
a Socialist theme by Lord Hastings. Stone retaining walls punctuated by low
piers with vases and by flights of steps extend along the east side of the
north terrace, and to south ramp up to a raised balustrade adjoining the
panelled northern pier of the south-east gateway to the forecourt. The
walls form part of an elaborate formal landscape scheme surrounding the
mansion. (q.v. also west pavilion and south screen.) (Country Life, 18,
25 May 1940; National Trust Guidebook to Buscot Park).
Listing NGR: SU2434696809
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings