History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Two Herring Monuments at North East Corner of Chancel of Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Coleshill, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6424 / 51°38'32"N

Longitude: -1.6609 / 1°39'39"W

OS Eastings: 423558

OS Northings: 193787

OS Grid: SU235937

Mapcode National: GBR 5VS.T2G

Mapcode Global: VHC0K.5Z89

Entry Name: Two Herring Monuments at North East Corner of Chancel of Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 21 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251499

Location: Coleshill, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Coleshill

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Coleshill

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Buscot

Listing Text

COLESHILL
SU2393
6/112 Two Herring monuments at
north-east corner of
chancel of Church of All
Saints.

GV II

Chest tomb and raised tombstone. Mid C18. Stone. The raised tombstone has
inscriptions on the top, set in 2 columns, well-lettered and with decorative
brackets; at the head of each column is a cherub, with an hour glass
between. Commemorates various members of the Herring family:- Edward,
d.1747; John, d.1748; Joseph, d.1796, The chest tomb has rectangular base;
moulded plinth; recessed angles to chest containing attached square fluted,
columns with moulded bases and capitals; engraved panels; cornice; moulded
lid. Commemorates various members of the Herring family: - on south side
Joseph, d.1763, and his wife Mary, d.1812 on north side John, d.1813, his
wife Anna, d.1793; and on east end, Joseph their son, d.1810 (of the
auditors' office, Somerset House) and his wife Elizabeth, d.1868. Rails of
former enclosure removed.


Listing NGR: SU2355893787

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.