This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6426 / 51°38'33"N
Longitude: -1.6595 / 1°39'34"W
OS Eastings: 423655
OS Northings: 193805
OS Grid: SU236938
Mapcode National: GBR 5VS.TH9
Mapcode Global: VHC0K.6Z06
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 10 November 1952
Last Amended: 21 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052689
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251505
Location: Coleshill, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Coleshill
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Coleshill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
The Old Rectory
Rectory, now house. First documentary reference to a vicarage on the site is 1677, but the house preserves features of the C14 and was altered in the C18, the C19 and finally in the 1960s. In the final phase of restoration, the C19 SW front was taken down to reveal the C18 facade beneath giving the house the Georgian character it now possesses. Rubble stone with reused C19 blocked stone dressings for the windows and dressed stone quoins. Gabled slate roof. SW front of two storeys and attic, five bays with two gabled dormers with leaded casements, modern sash windows and a projecting moulded box cornice below coped stone parapet. Centrally placed panelled door with a flat hood on ornately carved brackets. On the corner of the SE wall is a medieval diagonal buttress with set-offs and a medieval chimney stack also with set-offs centrally placed on the SE wall. The top stage of the stack has been rebuilt in brick. To the S of this are two C14 windows, one is a plain squared opening but the other, below, is a two-light mullion with cusping. To the NW a two-storey extension built in 1825 of chequered brick with a gabled slate roof.
Interior: the SE room on the ground floor has C19 arched recesses with moulded wood architraves decorated with patera. There are deep splays to the two medieval windows on the E wall.
Listing NGR: SU2365593805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings