History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Parsonage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Buscot, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6816 / 51°40'53"N

Longitude: -1.6746 / 1°40'28"W

OS Eastings: 422596

OS Northings: 198148

OS Grid: SU225981

Mapcode National: GBR 5VC.HFX

Mapcode Global: VHC0B.XZLQ

Entry Name: The Old Parsonage

Listing Date: 10 November 1952

Last Amended: 23 November 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052711

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251461

Location: Buscot, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Buscot

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Buscot

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Buscot

Listing Text

BUSCOT
SU29NW The Old Parsonage
1/4 (formerly listed as "The
10/11/52 Rectory")
GV II*
Rectory, now house. 1703 addition to older house, Stone with a moulded
coved cornice and hipped, stone tiled roof. 2 storeys, attic and cellar. S
front of 5 bays with 2 gabled and stone tiled dormers, sash windows in
reveals with moulded architraves. Elongated stone stacks at each end with
moulded caps. E and W fronts of 3 bays with 2 dormers. Entrance now on E
front, moved from S, through a 6-panelled door with 3-pane rectangular
fanlight, approached by a flight of stone steps with plain handrail.
Service wing to N is the remains of the earlier house, one storey and attic
of rubble stone with hipped, stone tiled roof. 2-and 4-light hipped stone
tiled dormers with modern leaded lights on N front. Cambered brick arches
to windows reveal C19 alterations. The interior has a cantilevered
staircase with elm hand rail and turned balusters and several rooms with
bolection moulded panelling and panelled window shutters and bolection
moulded stone fireplaces. Dentil cornices in most rooms. The Properties of
the National Trust, 1978, 126.


Listing NGR: SU2259198146

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.