This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6204 / 51°37'13"N
Longitude: -1.3289 / 1°19'43"W
OS Eastings: 446558
OS Northings: 191503
OS Grid: SU465915
Mapcode National: GBR 7Z8.6W7
Mapcode Global: VHCYC.XJBM
Entry Name: Priory Cottage the Priory
Listing Date: 6 August 1952
Last Amended: 19 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251392
Location: Steventon, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Steventon
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Steventon
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STEVENTON THE CAUSEWAY
SU4691 (South side)
12/78 Nos.123 (The Priory) and 127
06/08/52 (Priory Cottage)
(Formerly listed as No.123
Includes those parts formerly separately listed as Nos.125, 127 The Causeway and
No.1 (Priory Cottage) Mill Street.
Priory, now 3 dwellings. South-west block of c,l330; north-west block of c.1463;
hall of c.1500; service wing to hall of c.1550; late C16 range to east; with
later alterations. Irregular and large timber-framing, with some close-studding;
painted brick and rendered infill; complex old plain-tile roof; various brick
stacks: massive stone end stack to right with brick flues. Courtyard plan, with
wing to east. 2-storey, 7-window range with 2-storeys-and-attic cross-wing to
left. Plank door to right of centre with flat hood. 4-panel door to left of
centre with flat hood, 4-panel part-glazed door to end of cross-wing to left.
Irregular fenestration of casements and sashes except wood oriel window to
ground floor right, having wood mullion and transom windows and flanking 3-light
wood mullion windows. Wood oriel to first floor right, having wood mullion and
transom windows. Cross-gable to centre. Jettied cross-gable to right with
pendant bosses. Rear: part-encased in brick. Interior: false-hammer-beam roof
truss to hall with 2 tiers of curved wind braces, Massive stone fireplace to
hall. Crown-post roofs to west range and to west part of north range, Queen-post
roof to rest.. Some medieval wood arched doorways visible. History: priory from
1330, and on the site of earlier priory buildings and partly used as the manor.
("Smaller Domestic Architecture and Society in North Berkshire, c.l300-c.1650,
with special reference to Steventon" by C.R.J. Currie (Oxford Univ. Ph.D,thesis,
Listing NGR: SU4655891503
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings