History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Laurence

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Challow, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5926 / 51°35'33"N

Longitude: -1.4721 / 1°28'19"W

OS Eastings: 436666

OS Northings: 188328

OS Grid: SU366883

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y4.0N9

Mapcode Global: VHC11.F7MF

Entry Name: Church of St Laurence

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052756

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251277

Location: West Challow, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: West Challow

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Balking

Listing Text

WEST CHALLOW
SU38NE
2/178 Church of St. Laurence
24/11/66

GV
II*


Church. Late C12; late C13 chancel; restored in mid C19. Roughcast over
limestone walling; limestone ashlar dressings; stone slate roof; C20 lateral
brick stack on limestone ashlar base. Nave and chancel. Late C13 two-light east
window, angle buttresses. Side walls of chancel have C15 two-light square-headed
windows. South side of nave has mid C19 Plate-tracery 2-light windows flanking
early C16 four-centred moulded and blocked doorway. North side of nave has mid
C19 two-light C15 style window and late C12 round-headed doorway with waterleaf
capitals to single order of shafts. C15 gabled porch has cusped and decorative
bargeboard; timber structure and screens to sides over low limestone rubble wall
restored in mid C19. West gable has angle buttresses, late C13 trefoil-headed
lancet and late C13 double bellcote. Gabled roof. Interior: Chancel has 2
corbels for statues, piscina restored in mid C19, wall tablet to Elizabeth
Hobbs, d.1757, and John Hobbs, d.1730. C15 chancel screen with one-light
divisions. Nave has early C17 panelled pulpit and C13 tub-shaped font. C18
tie-beam roof. Stained glass: Mid/late C19, except fragments of C15 glass at top
of east window.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.262-3).


Listing NGR: SU3666688328

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.