This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6396 / 51°38'22"N
Longitude: -1.2349 / 1°14'5"W
OS Eastings: 453040
OS Northings: 193703
OS Grid: SU530937
Mapcode National: GBR 90J.0MH
Mapcode Global: VHCYF.K10W
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 9 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052766
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251305
Location: Appleford-on-Thames, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Appleford-on-Thames
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Appleford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
APPLEFORD CHURCH STREET
SU59SW (North side)
4/2 Church of St. Peter and St.
Church. Romanesque origins; C13 chancel; nave rebuilt by Ewan Christian c.1880;
tower by W. Sillbee Scott c.1885. Squared stone in random courses, with ashlar
stone dressings; C19. plain-tile roofs to nave and chancel; stone spire to tower.
4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel and west tower plan. Early,C20 porch to right of
centre of nave; having coursed squared stone plinth, with timber-framed upper
portion; gabled plain-tile roof. Double plank doors to 4-centred archway. Plank
inner door to round-arched doorway. C19 round-headed lancet to left of centre of
nave. C19 cusped lancet to left. C19 two-light Perpendicular tracery window to
right of nave with possibly re-sited hood-mould. Blocked 2-centred arched
doorway to left of centre of chancel. Single-light stone transomed window to
left of chancel with bottom light blocked. C15 paired lancet to right. Single
lancet to east end of chancel. Rear: blocked round-arched doorway to left of
centre of nave, having moulded imposts. C19 two-light Reticulated tracery
windows to left of nave, and to right of centre. C19 cusped lancet to right.
Vestry forms cat-slide addition to chancel at left with plank door to left and
lancet to left return. 3stage west tower with spire, angle buttresses. Cusped
lancets to each side of first and second stages. 2-light louvred Geometrical
tracery openings to third stage. Square spire with half-hipped lucarnes with
Geometrical tracery openings. Interior not inspected but reputed to have early
C18 altar rail.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire: l975, p65) '
Listing NGR: SU5304093703
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings