This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.644 / 51°38'38"N
Longitude: -1.307 / 1°18'25"W
OS Eastings: 448049
OS Northings: 194140
OS Grid: SU480941
Mapcode National: GBR 7YX.SGS
Mapcode Global: VHCY6.9YD2
Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter
Listing Date: 9 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251315
Location: Drayton, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Drayton
Built-Up Area: Drayton
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Drayton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
DRAYTON CHURCH LANE
SU4894 (East side)
6/12 Church of Saint Peter
Church. Circa 1200 origins; C13. navel C15 north aisle and west tower; chancel
arch c.1855, and arch to tower; chancel and south transept restored, with some
rebuilding, c.1855; south porch restored c.1879 by E. Dolby of Abingdon; church
restored after fire of 1959. Stone uncoursed rubble; stone ashlar to end of
south transept; coursed squared stone to chancel; copper sheet roof to nave;
lead roof to south transept, and to north aisle; old plain-tile roof to chancel.
6-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, north aisle, south transept and west tower. 2-centred
archway on octagonal half-columns to porch at centre of nave. Stone benches to
interior and C19 roof. 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould and 2-centre
arched 6-panel door (dated 1700 to panels). C19 Perpendicular style windows to
nave. C20 Perpendicular tracery window to end of transept. Lancets to sides of
transept, Round-arched doorway with plank door to centre of chancel. C19 paired
lancets to left and right, with hood moulds. Triple lancet window to east end of
chancel. C19 Perpendicular tracery window to east end of north aisle. 3-liqht
Perpendicular windows to north aisle, with some C19 restoration. West end of
north aisle has 2-light stone mullion window with cusped lights and hood mould,
Tower has 4-centred arched doorway to west side with quatrefoil spandrels and
plank door. 3-light Perpendicular tracery. Window with 2-centre arched head
above. 2-light stone mullioned louvred opening with cusped lights to each side
of top of tower. South face has stair turret to right with slit windows.
Battlemented parapet to tower. Interior: 2-bay arch-braced collar truss roof to
chancel with cusped struts rising from collar, and having cusped wind braces,
C19 piscina and sedillia to right of altar. C19 choirstalls, C15 lancet into
vestry. 2 centred segmental arch to organ bay. C19 two-centred chancel arch of
curved corbels. Perpendicular roof to south transept with wood tracery above
collar, on stone corbels carved with winged angels. C15 alabaster reredos.
2-centred transept arch on carved stone corbels. Lean-to roof to north aisle.
Perpendicular north arcade of 4 four-centred arches on shafts of
four-shafts-and-four-hallows section. C20 six-bay king-post roof to nave. C17
wood hexagonal pulpit to right of chancel arch. Romanesque stone barrel font.
Some C15 pews.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire: pl30, l975)
Listing NGR: SU4804994140
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings