History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

National Westminster Bank Staff College - Main House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Heythrop, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9353 / 51°56'6"N

Longitude: -1.4721 / 1°28'19"W

OS Eastings: 436391

OS Northings: 226437

OS Grid: SP363264

Mapcode National: GBR 6SW.LN0

Mapcode Global: VHBZ9.FMM9

Entry Name: National Westminster Bank Staff College - Main House

Listing Date: 27 August 1957

Last Amended: 30 August 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052781

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253266

Location: Heythrop, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Heythrop

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Heythrop

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Swerford

Listing Text

HEYTHROP HEYTHROP PARK
SP32NE
5/85 National Westminster Bank
27/08/57 Staff College - Main House
(Formerly listed as Heythrop
House (College of St. Robert
Bellarmine))

GV II*

Country house (main range). Circa 1705 by Thomas Archer for Charles Talbot,
first Duke of Shrewsbury; gutted by fire 1831; restored and partly rebuilt 1871
by Alfred Waterhouse for Albert Brassey. Limestone ashlar; Welsh-slate roofs
with ashlar stacks. Double-courtyard plan, partly infilled. Baroque style. 2
storeys plus concealed attic on a semi-basement. Symmetrical entrance front has
bay divisions of 2:2:3:2:2 with the end sections breaking forward and the centre
recessed behind a projecting portico; a grand order of Corinthian pilasters and
columns, rising from a rusticated basement, supports a deep entablature
incorporating consoles on the projecting sections and modillions on the recessed
bays. Roof has a high balustraded parapet. Windows have elaborate eared and
shouldered stone architraves, at ground floor with straight entablatures but at
first floor with large double-stepped keyblocks, and the return walls of the
central recess have architraved niches to both floors. Central doorway has a
fine perspective doorcase with a concave entablature carried on scrolls and
supporting a large stone trophy of arms. Carved panels within the first-floor
windows are the only C19 alteration. Broad steps to portico are flanked by walls
terminating in panelled pedestals carrying large C19 iron lamp standards. Garden
front has similar 2-bay projections flanking a 9-bay central section, which is
unornamented save for horizontal rustication and the Doric doorcase; the
basement of the central section is in plain ashlar but has architraved windows
with scrolled pediments. The balustraded double stair rises over an arched
recess with vermiculated voussoirs. 9-window return fronts break forward in the
middle 5 bays between rusticated quoin strips and have architraved windows, at
first floor with keyblocks, but the north front also has horizontal and vertical
bands between the windows, and the central window has an inverted pediment on
tapering pilasters. Interior: C19 arcaded 2-storey hall in Baroque style has a
large fireplace and clerestory windows with figures of Faith, Hope and Charity
by Morris and Co; the stone staircase rises behind the lower arcade. Principal's
Lounge and Charlbury Room have heavy C19 panelling, fireplaces and coffered
ceilings, the doors with ebony mouldings on mahogany and walnut. Wedgwood Room
has an Adam-style ceiling and a white marble fireplace inset with 5 Classical
Wedgwood panels and with Oriental porcelain panels in the splays. Bar has a
marble fireplace with Tuscan columns and a central relief of a child leading a
lion. Heythrop Room has a vaulted ceiling and a small fireplace inlaid with
coloured marble. The original design may have been influenced by a scheme of
Paolo Falconieri and includes details from Italian sources; it was executed by
Francis Smith of Warwick. Heythrop is Archer's most important country house.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp647-9; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p135;
Country Life: 1905: Vol 18, pp270-6) -


Listing NGR: SP3639126437

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.