History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walk Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Over Norton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9675 / 51°58'3"N

Longitude: -1.5092 / 1°30'33"W

OS Eastings: 433815

OS Northings: 230008

OS Grid: SP338300

Mapcode National: GBR 6SF.P7T

Mapcode Global: VHBZ2.STH2

Entry Name: Walk Farmhouse

Listing Date: 30 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052784

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253274

Location: Over Norton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Over Norton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Norton with Over Norton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Great Rollright

Listing Text

OVER NORTON
SP33SW
2/93 Walk Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse. Late C18, probably extended early C19 and C20. Coursed limestone
rubble with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roofs with stone-and-brick
stacks. 2-unit plan with rear stair wing and subsidiary ranges. 2 storeys plus
attic and one storey plus attic. Symmetrical 3-window front of taller main
range, with ashlar plinth and storey bands, has short 6-pane sashes at first
floor, but at ground floor has larger windows with 2-light casements flanking
the central doorway, which has a moulded stone canopy on shaped brackets; all
windows have ashlar segmental arches. Steep-pitched roof has 2 gabled half
dormers and gable stacks with stone plinths. Lower 2-window range to left is of
2 builds and has further segmental-arched casements, 2 half dormers and a
secondary entrance; ridge stack has a stone plinth. Main range has a tall gabled
stair tower, returning to rear from the left, and the angle has been infilled.
Lower range has a contemporary rear wing. Interior not inspected. Built between
1767 and 1790. Walk Farm was in Heythrop Civil Parish until 1985.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p132)


Listing NGR: SP3381530008

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.