This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8477 / 51°50'51"N
Longitude: -1.3539 / 1°21'13"W
OS Eastings: 444605
OS Northings: 216764
OS Grid: SP446167
Mapcode National: GBR 7WJ.0K3
Mapcode Global: VHCX6.HT3F
Entry Name: One Village the Marlborough Arms Hotel
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Last Amended: 27 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052822
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253168
Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Woodstock
Built-Up Area: Woodstock
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woodstock
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WOODSTOCK OXFORD STREET
SP4416NE (East side)
10/176 Nos.26 and 28 (The Marlborough
18/10/49 Arms Hotel and One Village)
(Formerly listed as The
Marlborough Arms Hotel)
Hotel, now hotel and shop. c.1750, with earlier origins. Limestone ashlar;
gabled concrete tile roofs; brick stacks. Courtyard plan. Georgian-style front.
No.28 of 3-storey, symmetrical 4-window range: raised chamfered quoin strips and
raised storey band; scrolled wrought-iron brackets support large flat hood over
panelled double doors set in moulded stone architrave. Keyed stone lintels over
6-pane sashes and 6-pane second-floor sashes, all early C18 with thick glazing
bars. Moulded cornice beneath rendered brick architrave. Front of No.26 to right
of 3-storey and attic, 2-window range: similar sashes; segmental-arched carriage
arch with imposts set in architectural frame with Tuscan pilasters to moulded
entablature; storey band and late C18 dentilled wood cornice; 2 hipped roof
dormers. Mid C18 rear left wing, of 2-storey-and-attic, 4-window range: canted
bay window has Venetian doorway with thick glazing bars to flanking sashes;
segmental arches over C19 two-light first-floor casements; C18 hipped roof
dormers. 2-storey mid C18 ranges to rear and right of courtyard, with
through-entry to rear; further C18 range to rear. Interior: mid C18 six-panelled
doors throughout. Room to left has fine mid C18 panelling with pilasters framing
keyed niche and marble fireplace with bracketed mantel. Rear hall has early C19
quarter-turn stairs with stick balusters, and mid C18 fireplace; mid C18 stone.
fireplace with Marlborough Arms set in overmantle in rear room. History: mostly
built in 1750s, but formerly the George Inn (recorded in 1469). In the 1750s,
The Plough Inn - now Fox House and No.32 (q.v.) - was demolished and rebuilt and
The George refronted to make the Marlborough Arms Hotel. Main elevation formerly
surmounted by a pediment.
(Information from VCH)
Listing NGR: SP4460516763
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings