History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sandys House

A Grade II Listed Building in Chadlington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8953 / 51°53'43"N

Longitude: -1.5255 / 1°31'31"W

OS Eastings: 432746

OS Northings: 221967

OS Grid: SP327219

Mapcode National: GBR 6TC.541

Mapcode Global: VHBZG.HMWF

Entry Name: Sandys House

Listing Date: 30 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052832

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253190

Location: Chadlington, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Chadlington

Built-Up Area: Chadlington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Chadlington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Chadlington

Listing Text

SP32SW CHADLINGTON BULL HILL
(South side)
7/9 Sandys House

GV II

Public house, now house. Early/mid C18 and late C18/early C19. Rendered brick
with ashlar dressings; coursed limestone rubble; concrete plain-tile roofs with
stone-and-brick gable stacks. 2-unit plan with linked parallel range to rear. 2
storeys plus attic. Symmetrical rendered 3-window front in Baroque style, with
ashlar rusticated quoins, storeybands and a deep moulded cornice, has a central
keyed occulus above a pedimented C20 porch which incorporates the C18
stone-architraved doorway; outer bays have 12-pane sashes in plain stone
architraves with double-stepped keyblocks. Steep-pitched roof has gable
parapets. Sides and rear are rubble. Later range projects considerably to the
right. Interior: first floor retains a formal arrangement with the arched entry
to the attic stairs flanked by fielded-panelled doors;, butt-purl in roof. The
rendering is a late-C20 addition. Formerly the Sandys Arms public house; the
Sandys family held the Manor of Chadlington West from 1785 to 1835.
(The Hon. T.G. Roche, Historical Notes on Chadlington and its Church, 1971,
pp5-6)


Listing NGR: SP3274621967

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.