History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House and Attached Walls and Outbuildings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chadlington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8952 / 51°53'42"N

Longitude: -1.5168 / 1°31'0"W

OS Eastings: 433345

OS Northings: 221961

OS Grid: SP333219

Mapcode National: GBR 6TD.1BN

Mapcode Global: VHBZG.NMHH

Entry Name: Manor House and Attached Walls and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 27 August 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253198

Location: Chadlington, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Chadlington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Chadlington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Chadlington

Listing Text

SP32SW CHADLINGTON EASTEND
(South side)
7/17 Manor House and attached walls
27/08/57 and outbuildings

GV II*

Manor house. Early/mid C17, enlarged probably late C17 for William Rollinson,
altered mid C18, possibly for Thomas Rollinson, and re-modelled c.1800. Coursed
squared limestone with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate and artificial
stone-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. L plan. 2 storeys plus attic on
semi-basement. Re-modelled 8-window front of taller late-C17 range breaks
forward in the 3 bays to left, with 3 closely-spaced 6-pane sashes above a wide
canted projection containing three 12-pane sashes; the remaining bays (except
for bay 8 with blocked windows) have similar first-floor windows, but at ground
floor bay 4 has a 12-pane sash in a stone-architraved former doorway, bay 5 has
the present doorway below a lead-covered canopy of c.1800, and bays 6 and 7 have
closely-spaced full-height 18-pane sashes. A moulded parapet breaks around the
projecting bays and returns around the end. Right gable wall has pairs of sashes
above 2-light stone-mullioned cellar windows. Left end wall has similar cellar
windows, but at ground floor retains leaded 2-light mullioned windows with
transoms and labels, and at first floor has 3-light mullioned windows. It forms
a projection on the right of an earlier front, the left end of which is gabled
and retains mullioned windows of 4 and 2 lights at ground floor and in the
gable; at first floor, and on both floors in the 2-window linking section, are
12-pane sashes, and between the middle bays is a stone-architraved doorway. The
parapet of the middle section is a later addition. Set back to left of the
gabled bay is a late-C17 kitchen wing with a large early multi-pane sash and a
matching opening incorporating a wide panelled door; gable wall retains a small
mullioned window and a blocked oven opening. Attached to left is a
stone-architraved gateway. Rear of earlier range has a gabled projection bearing
a bellcote, and has further mullioned windows plus some sashes in the kitchen
wing. Rear of taller range has mullioned windows to the cellars and to a
rectangular stair projection which rises above the parapet; 3 small roof dormers
have triangular pediments. A high wall, extending from the end of the range to
enclose one side of the courtyard, forms the rear of 3 small C17/C18
outbuildings and includes a mullioned window. Interior: earlier range includes a
bolection-mould panelled room, with a large contemporary surround over an
earlier stone fireplace. Later range has a fielded-panelled room, an open-string
stair with column balusters and a ramped handrail, and includes a fine drawing
room with large-panelled walls, an elaborate cornice, a triangular-pedimented
eared doorcase, and a Rococo fireplace with a large broken-pedimented overmantel
incorporating a painting of the Thames in London flanked by scrolls. A cast-iron
fireback is inscribed "WR/1738", and in a lower cellar is the date 1737. Thomas
Rollinson was High Sheriff in 1766 and the drawing-room decoration may be of
approximately that date. Major general Sir Henry Rawlinson, Bart, the renowned
assyriologist, was born in the house, and the event is commemorated by a plaque.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p525; The Hon. T.G.Rachel Historical Notes
on Chadlington and its Church: 1971, pp6-7)


Listing NGR: SP3334521961

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.