History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Star Inn and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodstock, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8477 / 51°50'51"N

Longitude: -1.3563 / 1°21'22"W

OS Eastings: 444437

OS Northings: 216766

OS Grid: SP444167

Mapcode National: GBR 7WH.5X2

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.FTVD

Entry Name: The Star Inn and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 18 October 1949

Last Amended: 27 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052851

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253134

Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Woodstock

Built-Up Area: Woodstock (West Oxfordshire) B

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woodstock

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOODSTOCK MARKET PLACE
SP4416NW (North side)
9/142 The Star Inn and attached
18/10/49 outbuildings
(Formerly listed as Star
Hotel and under Market Street)
GV II
House, now inn. Late C17; front block rebuilt c.1800. Coursed limestone rubble;
stuccoed front above ground floor. Gabled stone slate roof with concrete tiles
to rear; brick end stacks. L-plan with rear left wing. 3 storeys and attic;
3-window range. Wrought-iron scrolled brackets support flat hood over C20
central door with overlight. Flat stone arches over ground-floor 6-pane sashes,
and flat rendered arches over similar horned and unhorned sashes above. 3-storey
stair-turret to rear. C17 two-storey rear left wing of similar materials; eaves
heightened c.1800, with end stack of stone finished in brick and tripartite and
6-pane sashes. C18 L-shaped one-storey outbuildings, former stables and
coachhouses, attached to rear and partly enclosing yard: of limestone rubble
with gabled artificial stone slate roofs and through-entry to left. Interior:
stop-chamfered beams to rear left; winder stairs rise to attic.


Listing NGR: SP4443716766

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.