History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parrotts School

A Grade II Listed Building in Wootton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8751 / 51°52'30"N

Longitude: -1.3639 / 1°21'49"W

OS Eastings: 443890

OS Northings: 219811

OS Grid: SP438198

Mapcode National: GBR 7W3.J01

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.94VB

Entry Name: Parrotts School

Listing Date: 29 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052905

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252962

Location: Wootton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Wootton

Built-Up Area: Wootton (West Oxfordshire)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wootton, Glympton and Kiddington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOOTTON CHURCH STREET
SP4319 (West side)
15/307 Parrotts School
GV II
School. Building to right has inscribed tablet reading GIRLS
SCHOOL/FOUNDED/1836. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof; moulded
stone right end stack. 2 storeys; 2-window range. Timber lintels over C19
two-light leaded casements, with small iron opening lights. Building to left has
inscribed tablet reading PARROTTS SCHOOL/ENDOWED/1788/BUILT 1835. Similar
materials, with brick end stack. One-storey, 3-window range. Stone lintels over
3-light chamfered wood-mullioned windows. Left bay has stone lintel over C20
window above C20 door set in chamfered stone surround. Late C19 rear wing with
large stone lateral stack. Endowed with income of 61 pounds per annum from
Parrott's charity of 1788, and later by Reverend Charles Lee who built the
Girl's School and had School Cottages and Balliol Cottage built as an endowment
to provide for education of 6 girls. Included for group value.
(Kelly's Directory, 1883, p716; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol XI, p284)


Listing NGR: SP4389019811

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.